We hear that the industry is still figuring out why people are leaving.
A few reasons to which they attribute the cause are
• Ease of interviews because of virtual interviews, no possibility to monitor better, which wouldn’t have been the same if people worked from the office. They had to avail leaves for physical interviews.
• Work from the home model, No social life at work. Feeling of being caged.
• Less communication or bonding with the employees, no satisfying employee engagement activities.
• Extended work hours for 12 or 14 hours.
• Asked to work from office post-Covid. Again, pulling employees out of their comfort zone.
In the IT sector, a similar trend was observed in 2008. But there were still many considerations, logic, and visible business decisions. However, during Covid, the meaning of logic had to be redefined.
The greatest factors are
• Promises weren’t met, commitments failed by everyone we trusted- Employers, Managers, and Colleagues
• Security and support for employees and their families were taken away.
• No Manager could do anything to save jobs. No one knew whether their own jobs were secured enough. Assuring others’ was next to impossible.
• No HR or Management could support medical aid when there was a shortage of beds, ventilators, and vaccines.
• Companies gave no financial aid for Covid. Instead, salaries were deducted.
• Hope that benefits offered by Companies for tomorrow or future consequences felt like a well-thought-off deceit plan.
• The masked truth had broken open to everyone.
Trust was lost…
Covid forced people into the most practical, unmasked, uncertain, nasty, cruel, selfish world.
Adaptability to change and acceptance of the truth that you are alone in this world could have never been better explained in this world.
Even at a family level, we treated our own family members like untouchables; we weren’t willing to die with any of our loved ones.
Few didn’t even perform the last rites of their family members.
The quantum of grief made people resistant to suffering itself.
The bitter truth that money is more important than life for even the medical organizations surfaced.
There was only a handful of Human Gods whom only a few lucky ones could meet.
Suddenly, growing independent, financially strong, and self-sufficient became a mandate.
God was angry, or were we heartless and selfish is a question still to be answered to self.
Could anyone be blamed for everyone’s and our own behaviors too?
Psychologies have significantly been affected. Beliefs have shaken or, should I say, stormed.
It will take a really long time for companies to establish the trust again, or the prediction can be that it might never happen. It will take a tremendous amount of work and a great deal of effort, love, and care from every corner and every single person for humanity to heal.
The world is waiting for a reset button though it might make the picture uglier and messed up.
Hope – There has to be light at the end of darkness.